Fair Trade Gems are closely tracked from mine to market to ensure that every gem has been handled according to these strict protocols. These protocols include environmental protection, fair labour practices, health and safety standards, and a tight chain of custody that eliminates the possibility of treated gems or synthetics being introduced into the supply chain. At the same time, Fair Trade Gems promote cultural diversity, public education and industry accountability.
The end result will:
1. Demonstrate to the customer where the gemstones originated.
2.Identify what,if any, treatments have been done to the gemstone.
3.Determine that the gemstone is of natural origin and not synthetic or imitation.
4. Confirm that the gemstone was obtained legally.
5. Not support those who utilise business practices such as; employing child labour or slave labour, demanding employees to work exorbitant hours, paying below the standard or minimum wages, destroying the environment, smuggling, or supporting terrorist groups.
6. Not support those who are unethical or non-transparent in any manner.
7. Create desire and instill confidence in the consumer.
8. Help others achieve a higher standard of living.